Did you know that under federal law, Texas A&M University is one of only six U.S. colleges that are classified as senior military colleges? This is a school with a rich military tradition and strong ties to the military community. As such, it should come as no surprise that when it comes to military holidays like Memorial Day, few places celebrate like College Station does. Best of all, this year’s festivities promise to be bigger and better than ever.
College Station’s Inaugural Texas Weekend of Remembrance
This year, the city is boasting a signature event for the weekend of May 25 to 27, naming it as the Texas Weekend of Remembrance. The tourism manager for the city’s parks and recreation department told a local newspaper outfit that this defining event has been in planning since June 2015. The idea was to create an event in which veterans, active-duty personnel, their families, and students interested or otherwise invested in the military tradition (currently, there are over 1,200 veterans attending TAMU) might come together to celebrate those who sacrificed their lives for the United States.
Event Activities at the Veterans Park & Athletic Complex
The aptly named Veterans Park and Athletic Complex is slated to serve as grand central for the holiday weekend’s festivities. You’ll find this park located at 3103 Harvey Road, which is on the other side of Earl Rudder Freeway and just a 13-minute drive from the Junction at College Station. Festivities and event activities for the weekend include:
Friday, May 25
- Heroes Sports Softball & Flag Football Tournament; free and open to all adults ages 18+
Saturday, May 26
- Opening Ceremonies
- Brazos Valley Patriot Guard Riders Parade Procession
- Parachute Jump
- Presentation of Colors by the American Legion Color Guard
- National Anthem performed by Morgan Ashley
- Roll Call
- Keynote Address
- Amazing Grace performed by James McNeely, Jason Neuendorff & Leon Moore
- Rifle Salute
- Military Booths & Activities
- Self-guided tours at the Brazos Valley Veterans Memorial
- Boot Camp inflatable obstacle course for all ages
- Home Depot kids workshop
- Laser Tag
- Photo opportunities
- Evening musical performances by special guests
Sunday, May 27
- Kids 1-mile Fun Run & Adults 5k Run & Walk
- Continuation of the Heroes Sports Softball & Flag Football Tournament
- FREE Breakfast with U.S. Army Chaplain Jeremy Troutt
- Continuation of Military Booths & Activities
- Late afternoon musical performances by special guests
How Will You Celebrate Memorial Day Weekend?
The Weekend of Remembrance is shaping up to be one of the biggest events that the city of College Station will host this year. Of course, it’s just one of many ways to celebrate Memorial Day weekend. Let us know your ideas on how best to celebrate this momentous day, whether it’s with lakeside grilling or fireworks in the country!