With Halloween around the corner, what better way to get into the spirit than with some thrill-inducing horror films? Scary movies are the ideal genre for when you want to get lost in a film, have your imagination sparked, and your adrenaline pumping. From gory showdowns to psychological dread, make sure you had these top horror films to your must-see list this fall:
Top Ten Horror Movies
- The Descent (2005) :: This claustrophobic nightmare of a film takes place near exclusively within the confines of a shadowy cave. It goes from slow-build to a rollercoaster of terror that’ll delight and fright.
- Life (2017) :: This newly released horror flick takes place in outer space with a new life form eager to play.
- Hellraiser (1987) :: This twisted and unique haunted house story was so successful at captivating and chilling audiences that it would inspire eight sequels and create one of the world’s most notorious horror franchises.
- The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) :: A top-notch script and documentary-style camera work combine to make this a classic horror flick rife with start-to-finish suspense.
- Hostel (2005) :: Enjoy gore fests? Have fears of being trapped in a foreign country? This modern slasher film is waiting to fill you with terror.
- The Babadook (2014) :: This film relies on several traditional horror tropes to create a unique portrait of human grief, guilt, and the pain that goes with it.
- Inside (2007) :: This French home invasion horror flick concerns the home invasion and attack on a young pregnant woman by a mysterious stranger. This film was never released in American theaters and as such was missed by many lovers of the genre. Note that suspense is high and be ready for blood in this intense slasher film.
- Children of the Corn (1984) :: Based off of a short story by Stephen King, Children of the Corn is a classic horror story that has continued to attract a cult following in the decades following its release. Plus, it’s a film that may hit pretty close to home given its setting of a remote farming town held captive by a dangerous religious cult.
- It Follows (2014) :: This supernatural psychological horror film is sure to strike terror into any college co-ed. It starts with a carefree teenager who has what she believes to be an innocent sexual encounter. Only, she soon finds herself followed by an unknown and malevolent supernatural force.
- 28 Days Later (2002) :: This was the film that really launched the modern zombie flick era and, with its fast zombies, irrevocably changed the genre.
Of course, this is no way the end-all, be-all list of top horror films. Plus, we didn’t even get to television series like Black Mirror and American Horror Story that offer some really bone-chilling scenes. Have your own favorite cache of horror flicks? List them and what you love about them in the comments!