May is here and summer’s just around the corner. For Texans, that means we’re about to get a whole lot of the sunshine and warm weather and there’s nothing better on a hot day than a cool dessert. Plus, in these sweet weeks between finals and the start of the summer, you deserve to treat yo’ self.
So take a second to relax, enjoy the sun, and indulge in some of College Station’s best desserts:
Top Dessert Spots in College Station
- Fire and Ice. Free internet, outdoor air conditioning, and cheap soft serve and shaved ice? Yes. Please. Fire and Ice is located just on the outskirts of Bryan on E. Villa Marla Rd. and is well worth the trip. Plus, being a mom and pop kind of shop, it’s a cute atmosphere and a great place to just sit and people watch.
- MESS Waffles, Etc. Formerly known as Wafology, this gourmet waffle and dessert truck is the perfect cure for hangovers and bad days. Every week they offer a new dessert ‘waffle of the week’ that is like nothing you’ve ever tasted. For example, last month they debuted a Sriracha Veggie Waffle Burger that sold out every day. We don’t know quite how they do it, but the gurus at MESS know that perfect mix of salt and sweet that makes your mouth always water for seconds.
- Napa Flats. Hear us out. Napa Flats might not technically be a dessert shop nor a College Station-only location, but it does have some sweet treats that are well worth the visit. This wood-fired kitchen specializes in pizzas and other entrees, but what they really secretly excel at is cheesecakes and cobblers. Their seasonal cobblers feature only the freshest ingredients that will leave you screaming for more. Should they be out when you go, then nab a thick slice of their Irish Car Bomb Cheesecake. Absolutely delicious.
- JJ’s Snowcones. JJ’s is something of a local dessert legend. This shop has been serving the College Station area snowcones for over 30 years now. And we’re sure they’re going to keep on going for another 30 years, at least if the residents of College Station have anything to say about it. With more than 50 different flavors to choose from and a host of add-ins to choose from (including pickles?!), this is a top pick for anyone needing a cool treat during the hot summer days.
- Donald’s Donuts. Donuts have no competition when it comes to satisfying that need for an early morning sugar rush. And while there are plenty of donut chains to choose from in College Station — Daylight Donuts and Shipley Do-nuts being the most prominent — our favorite local hideaway is Donald’s Donuts at 1403 Harvey Rd. This little mom and pop shop consistently offers A+ customer service, fresh donuts, and delicious breakfast sandwiches.
Have you tried any (or all) of the above? Which is your favorite, or what other great dessert shops would you add to this list of best desserts in College Station? Let us know your recommendations in the comments!