Birchbox is the verifiable OG of beauty subscription boxes. They may not have technically pioneered the beauty subscription model, but they certainly have become the gold standard.
People love the simplicity of the box itself and its introduction of new and exciting beauty and skincare products to the receiver. It’s an opportunity to try different samples every time you open. It’s also great inspiration for those of us looking for last minute DIY gift ideas.
A DIY gift box stuffed with such small toiletries and other items is a great way to personalize a gift for a friend, roommate, or family member. Taking a cue from BirchBox and filling that box full of latest and greatest in beauty products is also a great way to introduce loved ones to new products. Plus, as you are gathering and assembling the box, it because also a token of time and thought you spent on them.
Interested yet? Here’s what you’ll need:
- A cardboard gift box
- Stuffing, such as tissue paper or paper straw
- Small beauty items (think nail polish bottles and new skin creams) or similar travel-sized items
- Cardstock, book pages, rubber stamps or similar items to decorate the box (this part is optional, you can always KISS)
Putting it All Together
- Begin with your box. Consider this quick how-to of upgrading a simple cardboard box into a prettier package. This is optional, but don’t underestimate how much of an impact finishing details have on the overall gift.
- Stuff the interior full of stuffing. Make sure the base is well padded and leave a hollow in the middle into which you’ll place your gift items.
- Arrange your small gifts inside the box. Remember, presentation is key. Avoid simply throwing them in and instead arrange them with labels facing out in an eye-pleasing display.
- Pop on the lid and tie a finishing ribbon around your new gift box.
Some Alt Ideas on Contents
While a Birchbox-styled beauty box is key to appeal to many, there are plenty of other themes you might try:
- Film fanatics > add in gourmet popcorn seasonings, action figures, theater tickets, gourmet candy, etc.
- Green Gurus > add in new gardening gloves and a variety of seed packets
- Curious Chefs > add in a small bottle of gourmet truffle oil or olive oil, premier spice bottles, a small basil plant, etc.
Even the DIY Birchbox can be made to appeal more to a niche such as focusing on mani/pedi products, beard care items, or everything for eyes makeup box. Many of these items can be picked up in sample sizes at your local store or in bulk on Amazon so you can get some products for yourself too.