Memorial Day is more than just a Monday to sleep in on. This American Holiday was originally known as Decoration Day to commemorate those military members who died in the Civil War. Then, in 1971, it became an official federal holiday to commemorate men and women who died while serving the U.S. military during any event.
Of course, things change and today most see Memorial Day as the unofficial beginning of the summer season and an excellent reason to be outside. While, it certainly is that as well, the city of College Station and TAMU have joined forces in recent years to bring celebrations back to focusing on fallen heroes. Hence, the Texas Weekend of Remembrance.
What to Know About the Texas Weekend of Remembrance
The Texas Weekend of Rembrance is set to take place across the Memorial Day Weekend which is May 24, 25, and 26. It will take place at the aptly named Veterans Park & Athletic Complex and will draw not only people from College Station, but also those from around the region. In fact, if you have family members or close family friends who served in the U.S. military in any capacity, then this is a perfect time to invite them to come visit you at your Junction Cottages & Townhomes apartment.
Admission to the weekend events are free and include:
Friday, May 24
- Lone Star Softball Tournament & Lone Star Softball Homerun Derby
Saturday, May 25
- Lone Star Softball Tournament throughout the day
- 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. Remembrance Ceremony
- 7:30 to 11:00 p.m. Military Booths, Activities, Food Vendors, & Musical Performances
Sunday, May 26
- Heroes Sports Softball & Flag Football Tournament all day
- 8:30 to 10:00 a.m. 5k Run/Walk Benefiting Brazos Valley Cares
- 10:30 to 12:00 p.m. Breakfast with U.S. Army Chaplain Jeremy Troutt
- 12:00 to 5:00 p.m. Miltary Booths, Activities, Food Vendors, & Musical Performances
Joining in on Sunday’s Race
Interested in getting some exercise in and raise money for a good cause? Sign up for the 5K Run/Walk at the city website here. It’s $20 and helps benefit a local organization that helps veterans and their families — a very appropriate cause for a Memorial Day-spirited event.
Show Off Your Apartment This Memorial Day
The long weekend really is a perfect time to invite family and friends to come visit you at College Station. Take Monday to show off how you’ve decorated your Junction Cottages & Townhomes apartment and treat visitors to your favorite College Station dining spot!